People who do not consume meat or other animal related derivatives like eggs and dairy products are called Vegetarians. If we look around, every day we see a lot of people getting motivated to become vegetarian.
There are lot of factors which motivate individuals or groups, like health, economical, ethical, cultural, religious, self-realization and the one which has caught up off lately social concern.
We will discuss five to six of these factors briefly as how they become potent enough to persuade someone to give up on the habit of eating meat.
What are Those Factors?
- An important factor, and might be the strongest one is health related issues due to consumption of meat. A person is more susceptible to diseases like heart ailment, cancer and diabetes with growing age, and hence, medical professionals world over recommend to reduce the meat consumption and eventually to give up on them. Immunity against these life threatening diseases increases multifold for vegetarians.
- Consumption of food rich with vegetables helps to control hypertension, accumulation of fatty acids and lesser consumption of antibiotics, which fortifies the body against the ailments.
- Lower middle class and economically weaker section of society have a less frequent consumption of non vegetarian food.
- A simple reason is the cost implication of such foods. Meat is very expensive as compared to the vegetarian substitute available and hence its becoming an easy choice for food.
Ethical and cultural Incumbency
- Different cultures across the globe have their own interpretation and learning about the behaviour they exhibit towards animals.
- In India, cows are worshipped as mother in most of the states and it’s a punishable offence to kill cows.
- To turn people vegetarians, there are government agencies that persuade people to give up on meat.
- Now, there is a very interesting group of individuals who were non vegetarian of different level in the past, but gradually a sense of self realization persuades them to give up on meat.
- There are lots of factors which can trigger this decision, but the end result is that the person stops consuming meat and animal related products at all level.
- There are emotional moments due to personal loss of a dear one, or sudden repulsion towards meat or a self awakening after seeing cruelty against animals.
- This is a very influencing factor which has caught up lately. A very interesting point to note here is that social media has a lot to evoke the sense of social concern among people and directly or indirectly, influence them to turn into a vegetarian.
- Seeing your favorite movie actor or football player, asking to give up on meat, or seeing videos of brutal killing, unhealthy living conditions of animals in the slaughterhouses plays on an individual’s mind to give up on meat. We can see a lot of people around us getting influenced like this.
So as we can see, a lot of reasons can be listed as a influencing factors, for people to turn their eating habit to vegetarian