What vegans eat?Being a vegan is more of a philosophy, leading into a self-disciplined lifestyle. The person turning into a vegan makes the person to give up on consumption animal products, neither as food nor for any other purpose like jackets, coats, musical equipment. Since animal related products are part of our everyday meals, a lot of people become very inquisitive when they meet vegans, and the most natural question which pops out of their mind is what vegans eat. This is obvious because a lot of us are ignorant about food items that exist beyond meat and dairy product and the fact that the regular requirement of protein, carbohydrates and other nutrients also be fulfilled by vegetarian and nondairy food. So if you are deciding to turn a Vegan soon, but are worried about your diet post giving up on nonvegetarian food, we have a list of vegan food items, which can be used as a healthy supplement for meat and dairy products. They are rich in proteins and taste good so there won’t be any compromise on nutrient factor and your taste buds are also going to enjoy the new flavours.
Healthy alternatives for meat and Dairy Products
Including green vegetables and fruits in your daily diet
- The daily consumption of meat, poultry and dairy items can be easily replaced by green vegetables. They can be prepared in different ways to give newness in taste. Veggies like broccoli, potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables are great source of nutrition. When you include plenty of whole grains as well in your diet, it provides the necessary fibres and antioxidants, which also help in disease prevention and keeps your healthy. Fruits on the other hand can also be wholesome diet. They are also a great source of anti oxidants and energy
Getting adequate amount of Protein
- Protein needs can be sufficed by including legumes, nuts and seeds in your daily diet. When you combine different foods, like rice and beans or hummus with bread can be a good source of protein and various vitamin complexes, important for the body.
Rich source of Zinc, Iron and Calcium
- Apart from Protein, Zinc Iron and Calcium are also very important requirement of our bodies to boost our immune system and well being of bones and teeth. Their deficiency can pose serious threat to our health. Here we are listing some rich source of Iron and Calcium so that being a vegan, we do not deprive our body of any vital life saving mineral.
For Zinc and Iron requirement
- Cooked beans
- Peas (Split Peas)
- Wheat Bran
- Nuts and Seeds
- It’s also very important that we have food items that contain Vitamin C which absorb iron in our body. Therefore we must have orange juice while having bread or have tomatoes in salad to have the right absorption of iron in our body.
For Calcium requirement
- Last but not the least, Vitamin B12 is an important nutrient for growth of young individuals and is only found in animals. To suffice for B12, the intake of supplements is very important